Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is served in Irish homes at tea and whenever anyone wants a slice.
Make and share this Aran Spiosrai, Irish Spice Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (I like apple pie spice mix but use your favorite)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 4 ounces sugar, brown, light
- 2 ounces citron, candied, chopped
- 6 ounces raisins (plain or golden)
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 ounces golden syrup
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Sift the flour with the soda and baking powder, and the mixed spice and ginger.
- Add the brown sugar, chopped peel and raisins and mix and make a well in the center.
- Melt the butter with the syrup over low heat, then pour into the well in the mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and milk and mix very well.
- Pour into a greased 2-lb loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 40-50 minutes, or until it tests done.