This is served in Irish homes at tea and whenever anyone wants a slice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (I like apple pie spice mix but use your favorite)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 4 ounces sugar, brown, light
- 2 ounces citron, candied, chopped
- 6 ounces raisins (plain or golden)
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 ounces golden syrup
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1Sift the flour with the soda and baking powder, and the mixed spice and ginger.
- 2Add the brown sugar, chopped peel and raisins and mix and make a well in the center.
- 3Melt the butter with the syrup over low heat, then pour into the well in the mixture.
- 4Add the beaten egg and milk and mix very well.
- 5Pour into a greased 2-lb loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 40-50 minutes, or until it tests done.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aran Spiosrai, Irish Spice Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1003 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3478.1
- Calories from Fat 927
- Total Fat 103.0 g
- Saturated Fat 61.7 g
- Cholesterol 438.3 mg
- Sodium 2409.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 624.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 272.4 g
- Protein 44.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: