Recipe by diner524
A recipe untried by me but I am posting for ZWT - Spain. I found this recipe on "About.com" and here is what was stated: This potatoes and cheese recipe is from the region Aragon, in northeast Spain. It is easy, and uses ingredients that are probably in your pantry – potatoes, eggs, milk, cheese and bacon. Moist, not runny, this dish has solid consistency – a bit like a layered Spanish potato omelet with bacon. Note: If sheep cheese is unavailable, use another sharp cheese, such as aged Monterey Jack.
Top Review by breezermom
I cut this recipe down for two, and think I got the measurements right because it turned out great! I did use the optional bacon, but think I may actually leave it out next time. I'll be making this easy recipe again! Thanks for sharing....made for PRMR tag game.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 slices bacon (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 8 -12 ounces milk (250-375 ml)
- 1 cup sheep cheese, grated, for topping
- 1 sprig thyme (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If sheep cheese is unavailable, use another sharp cheese, such as aged Monterey Jack.
- Heat the oven to 360F (180C) degrees.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in thin slices (1/8-inch thick). Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Cut the bacon lengthwise in strips and lightly fry them in a pan. Remove and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- Oil bottom and sides of a 9-inch by 12-inch glass baking dish. Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom. Lay julienned onions and a couple strips of bacon on top to create another layer. Repeat this process until all potatoes, onions and bacon have been used.
- Beat the eggs and milk together, and pour over the potato mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in hot oven for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Return to oven uncovered for another 5-10 minutes.
- When cheese has melted, remove from oven and decorate with thyme if desired. Cut into squares and serve.