Cook1 hr 10 mins
A recipe untried by me but I am posting for ZWT - Spain. I found this recipe on "About.com" and here is what was stated: This potatoes and cheese recipe is from the region Aragon, in northeast Spain. It is easy, and uses ingredients that are probably in your pantry – potatoes, eggs, milk, cheese and bacon. Moist, not runny, this dish has solid consistency – a bit like a layered Spanish potato omelet with bacon. Note: If sheep cheese is unavailable, use another sharp cheese, such as aged Monterey Jack.
- If sheep cheese is unavailable, use another sharp cheese, such as aged Monterey Jack.
- Heat the oven to 360F (180C) degrees.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in thin slices (1/8-inch thick). Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Cut the bacon lengthwise in strips and lightly fry them in a pan. Remove and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- Oil bottom and sides of a 9-inch by 12-inch glass baking dish. Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom. Lay julienned onions and a couple strips of bacon on top to create another layer. Repeat this process until all potatoes, onions and bacon have been used.
- Beat the eggs and milk together, and pour over the potato mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in hot oven for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Return to oven uncovered for another 5-10 minutes.
- When cheese has melted, remove from oven and decorate with thyme if desired. Cut into squares and serve.
I cut this recipe down for two, and think I got the measurements right because it turned out great! I did use the optional bacon, but think I may actually leave it out next time. I'll be making this easy recipe again! Thanks for sharing....made for PRMR tag game.
Great potatoes!! I used my mandolin to slice the potatoes and onions so they were the same thickness and used a couple of pieces of bacon left from breakfast that were already cooked. I liked that the potatoes were not dried out and not soupy either. I topped it with Spanish Manchego cheese. Made for ZWT8.
My dh absolutely loved this dish diner, he ate most of it himself...he did leave me a nice sized peice, so I can't complain. It was so good. Good thing I scaled it down for the two of us. Creamy, tender, cheesy and oh so flavorful. All the flavors blended beautifully together to create this wonderful dish. I used extra old white cheese, it was really nice in this dish. Made exactly as written and I wouldn't change a thing. We will be having this dish again and again. I have placed it in my keeper box. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for The Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Spain.