Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very good spice cake and very easy to make. I got the recipe from my mother-in-law years ago and it has been a family favorite ever since.
- 12 tablespoons butter (169 grams)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (184 grams)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (125 grams)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs.
- Mix dry ingredients together (setting walnuts aside).
- Add buttermilk and dry mixture alternately to creamed butter/sugar/egg mixture.
- Mix well. Add vanilla and lemon extract. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour mixture into a tubed pan (greased and floured).
- Bake in 350° F oven until center tests done with a toothpick (50-60 minutes).
- Remove from pan and let cool.