Recipe by Hommus
I learned this delicious recipe from my mother. It is used widely in the Arab countries. It great for Holidays or any occasion. Ground Beef can be used but there is nothing like Lamb meat. This Recipe is excellent with Roast Lamb or Turkey. It is easy to cook and family members love it and always serve seconds. It tastes great with Pine (Pignoli) nuts.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs finely chopped lean lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb
- 2 cups long grain rice (Basmati is excellent)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups boiling chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (for color with chicken broth) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (pignoli nuts) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown lightly lamb meat in butter.
- Add salt and spices and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add two cups rice, stir and add the 3½ boiling Chicken Broth and mix well.
- Bring to Boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Let cool for ½ hour and put in large serving dish and ready to serve.
- You can serve with natural plain yogurt if desired.
- in the meantime rice is cooling saute ½ cup pine nuts (pignoli nuts)in 3-4 tbs. olive oil or vegetable oil until light brown.
- Decorate rice and meat dish with the sauted pine nuts and serve.