1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by the lentil soup at this falafel place where I used to live. I have always had trouble finding lentil soup recipes that were more of this Middle Eastern type, so thought I'd share mine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash lentils thoroughly and soak if desired.
- 2I never soak them, and they always seem to cook up quickly.
- 3Bring stock to a boil.
- 4Add quartered onion, garlic, tomato and lentils.
- 5Return to boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender.
- 6The amount of time will depend on the freshness of the lentils and whether or not they were soaked, but plan on an hour to an hour and a half.
- 7Over-cooking wouldn't be a problem since this is a blended soup, but under-cooking would.
- 8As lentils approach tenderness, melt butter in a small frying pan over medium-low heat.
- 9Add thinly sliced onion and allow to fry until very dark brown.
- 10Add cumin, saute briefly.
- 11Add mixture to soup and stir through.
- 12Ladle one ladle-full of soup at a time into a blender or food processor.
- 13Using a dishtowel, hold lid down and process soup until homogenous.
- 14When soup has been completely pureed, return to a pot and reheat until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arabic Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.3
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.7 mg
- Sodium 491.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.4 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 25.4 g