Recipe by cooking in cairo...
Arabic 7 spice (bokharat) is mixture of spices you can buy ready at any Middle Eastern grocery. If you don't have one where you live, you can make using the following.
Top Review by UmmBinat
I use a little ground allspice to replace the nutmeg as it is an intoxicant and all intoxicants are haram. I also dry roast the rest of the spices whole in a pan and then grind them for a better flavour.
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Store in an airtight container or in freezer.
- You can also roast and grind these spices yourself first before mixing.
- Here in Cairo it is a VERY popular spice so we are able to buy freshley gorund all the time from spice souk.
- *** A great idea would be to make, wrap in a beautiful bottle or glass, decorate and give as a gift. Not everyone is aware of this spice, its great in many dishes, and gives a nice exotic flavor***.