Recipe by Stripelove
This is very easy to make and doesn’t take long, so it’s great if you’ve had a long day and just want something hot. It is less heavy than the European lentil soup, and is often served as an appetizer. Goes well with crispy garlic bread. Optional: For extra flavor fry a finely chopped onion until almost golden before adding the other ingredients. The recipe works fine without the onion. This just gives it an extra kick.
Top Review by gardner.charles
I tried this recipe and it turned out great. My quests liked it very much. The taste was not like the traditional lentil soup you might purchase. I ran my cooked lentils though a food processor and it made the soup smoother. I didn't add the lemon juice this time. A lot of recipes are better the next day, there wasn't a next day. All gone. thank-you for the post. Charlie
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1⁄8 liter yellow lentils
- 1 -2 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 -3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- 1 lemon, juice of, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Simply place all the ingredients, except the lemon juice, into a pot and let them boil until the lentils are well cooked.
- Some people prefer to smoothen this with a blender while others like to still see the lentils, so this part is up to you.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving.
- (I have met people who prefer the soup without the lemon juice, so you might want to try it out on a small portion first to see which way you like best).
- For Vegetarian option use Vegetable broth.