Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This comes from 1000 Great Recipes. Posting for ZWT3.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh spinach, washed and shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cumin seeds, then fry for another minute.
- Add the spinach, in stages, stirring until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Stir in the chick peas, butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat until just bubbling, then serve hot.
I wasn't too sure about putting cumin in the spinach, although I truly adore cumin in general. I just didn't know how well it would mesh with the spinach. I needn't have worried, though. It was actually the ingredient that I believe pulled together the spinach and the chickpeas. Dh wasn't overly excited about it, but he ate it. He just said it was okay. I loved it, but there aren't very many spinach recipes that I'm not crazy about, lol. I'll definitely do this one again. We had it with Spaghetti-Pizza Casserole, and they went very well together. Interestingly, some of the Parmesan I sprinkled on the spaghetti got on a few bites of the spinach, and it was really good. I'm thinking that I might be able to get dh and the kids to be a little more accepting of it if I add a little Parmesan in next time. The only other change I made was to do about 4 Â½ cups of spinach, just to use up what I had. I really don't think that 3 Â½ would have been enough, though.
I made this last night as a quick side dish with lentil koftes and falafel platter. I left out the chickpeas as the other dishes are filling enough, and used silverbeet (like white-stemmed swiss chard) instead of spinach, and I only had ground cumin, not seeds. still delish and obviously very flexible! I ate the leftovers today for lunch, briefly stir frying with some crumbled feta cheese and an egg, then eating with pita bread. Very good!