Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A different rice dish from One Thousand And One Delights
- 2 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Break vermicelli noodles in small pieces; fry with butter till slightly brown.
- Add boiling water and salt. Stir till boiling.
- Add rice slowly. Let it boil before covering. Stir.
- Put a thin layer of tin foil under the pan to prevent burning. Reduce heat to low and leave to cook for 30 minutes.
- Open the pan. Stir the top and see if rice is done. If rice is still a little hard, cover and cook longer.
- Serve with any vegetables.
We've made this rice several times during ZWT6. Dh always asks for it. This recipe didn't work out as well as another one I made. It needed more vermicelli and double amount of water. Taste was improved by using a chicken cube.It was delicious.
When I added the rice, I found that it needed more water. So I added more, almost 2 cups. I was afraid it would stick to the pan. The taste is great like that. And I didn't use salt. I may also use more vermicelli next time as I don't think there was enough. Thanks Sage :) Made for the Zwizzle Chicks of ZWt
I made half the recipe for a quick and easy side dish. Served with Recipe #423500 and Recipe #228801 for a light and satisfying supper.Thanks for posting Sage. Made for Zwizzle Chicks for ZWT6.