This is unusual but delicious. A tasty way to prepare butternut squash. I make a big batch of this on Sunday night and bring it to lunch all week. I cook the squash by halving a large one and roasting it in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. Let it cool and scrap out the delicious meat! Adapted from the classic Moosewood Cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the mashed squash in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Spread into an ungreased 9-inch square or 7 by 11 baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Optional - sprinkle the top lightly with sunflower seeds or minced walnuts - I usually omit this step. You may also saute the onions before adding and use fresh red peppers which you saute as well.
Very nice! I've changed a few things though as I did not like it mashed: I steam cooked the butternut squash cut into pieces. I used 3 tablespoon of light cream and a spring onion. I then added the other ingredients, sprinkled some cumin and salt and cooked 20min in the oven.
I did not like this dish so much but I have to admit that I substituted the yoghurt to a lactose free one and the feta cheese for goat's cheese.
I too have this in my Moosewood book and love it. I followed the instruction in the book as mentioned by mathmom.calif. Yummy.