1/2 Photos of Aquavit's Swedish Meatballs
Chef Kate's Note:
This is Marcus Samuelsson's rendition of the perennial favorite. The sauce is wonderful, unctuous. They should be served with garlicky mashed potatoes, quick pickled cucumbers and extra lingonberry preserves. The pickled cucumbers (and their juice) are really easy to make and the recipe is posted. If you can't find lingonberry preserves (a pity) you can substitute whole cranberry relish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb ground sirloin
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock, prefereably homemade and salt-free
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup lingonberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons juice, from quick pickled cucumbers
- 1Prepare the Meatballs.
- 2Combine the bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cream in a small bowl, stirring until all the crumbs are moistened.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- 5Add the onion and saute for for about five minutes, until softened.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7In a large bowl, combine ground beef, veal and pork, onion, honey and egg, and mix well with your hands (remember Julia--your impeccably clean hands).
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Add the bread crumb/cream mixture and mix well.
- 10With wet hands (to keep mixture from sticking) shape the mixture into meatballs the size of golfballs, placing them on a plate slightly moistened with water.
- 11You should have about 24 meatballs.
- 12Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 13Add the meatballs, in batches if necessary, and cook, turning frequently, for about seven minutes, until the meatballs are browned on all sides and cooked through.
- 14Transfer the meatballs to a plate and keep warm.
- 15Discard all but one tablespoon of fat from the skillet.
- 16Prepare the Sauce.
- 17Return the skillet to the heat.
- 18Whisk in the stock, 1/2 cup of cream, preserves and pickle juice, and bring to a simmer.
- 19Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 20Add the meatballs to the sauce, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for about five minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly and the meatballs are heated through.
- 21Serve hot with garlic mashed potatoes, lingonberry preserves and pickled cucumbers.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aquavit's Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 812.2
- Calories from Fat 505
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 256.6 mg
- Sodium 344.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: