A few things I might try: I would use parchment paper to line the cookie sheets.Check on the temperature, they might need at least 12 minutes. If using the candied orange peel, finely chop it.Let dough come to room temp before baking. From Food Network. Posted for ZWT 6
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered clove
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup candied orange peel, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and molasses, and incorporate well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix well, then gently fold in the candied orange peel,if using.
- Place dough in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, dip the top half of the cookie in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, coating them well.
- Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Use a spatula to remove the cookies from the sheet and let cool.