Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This is a winter favorite of my nephew Brandon. You can speed up this recipe by using canned navy beans, but some of the flavor will be lost.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup green chili, canned and chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- Wash beans, cover with water, and soak for two hours.
- Drain beans.
- In a large pot, heat buter and saute garlic, onion, and chilies until tender.
- Add chicken stock to beans and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, cumin, oregano, black pepper, white pepper, cilantro, salt, and chilli powder.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with corn bread or your favorite loaf.