Recipe by LB in Middle Georgia
I got this recipe form Cokingvilage.com they used plain white mashed potatoes; I thought that it needed to be pink. The family had a hard time because there brain was saying cake but the mouth was saying meatloaf and mashed potatoes. This was a lot of fun for April fool’s Day
Top Review by Kim Bennett
Totally got the kids with this one! Even sitting at the table up close they couldn't tell and when we cut it they thought it was a spice/carrot cake. Everyone thought it was great, except my 7 year old...she's still not speaking to me.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preparing the Meat Loaf.
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F In a large bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, green onions, milk, parsley, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper just until blended.
- 2. Divide mixture between two 8-inch round cake pans, patting to cover pans evenly and make level.
- 3. Bake meat loaves until juices run clear when meat is pierced with a fork, or meat loaves register 170F on a meat thermometer, 20–25 minutes. Remove pans from the oven; cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Decorating the Meat Loaf.
- 1. Pour off juices from pans. Invert 1 meat loaf onto a flat serving plate. Using a small sharp knife, trim red peppers so that they lie flat. Cover top of meat loaf with a single layer of roasted red peppers.
- 2. Invert second meat loaf onto red pepper layer. Using a spatula, spread 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes over top and sides of meat loaf. Spoon remaining potatoes into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe swirls around top edges of cake. Pipe stars around bottom of cake.
- 3. Place cherry tomatoes, stem-ends down, in a ring around top of meat loaf "cake" to resemble cherries. Cut meat loaf into wedges; serve immediately.