I got this recipe form Cokingvilage.com they used plain white mashed potatoes; I thought that it needed to be pink. The family had a hard time because there brain was saying cake but the mouth was saying meatloaf and mashed potatoes. This was a lot of fun for April fool’s Day
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 3 1⁄2 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, stems removed
- Preparing the Meat Loaf.
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F In a large bowl, combine ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, green onions, milk, parsley, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper just until blended.
- 2. Divide mixture between two 8-inch round cake pans, patting to cover pans evenly and make level.
- 3. Bake meat loaves until juices run clear when meat is pierced with a fork, or meat loaves register 170F on a meat thermometer, 20–25 minutes. Remove pans from the oven; cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Decorating the Meat Loaf.
- 1. Pour off juices from pans. Invert 1 meat loaf onto a flat serving plate. Using a small sharp knife, trim red peppers so that they lie flat. Cover top of meat loaf with a single layer of roasted red peppers.
- 2. Invert second meat loaf onto red pepper layer. Using a spatula, spread 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes over top and sides of meat loaf. Spoon remaining potatoes into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe swirls around top edges of cake. Pipe stars around bottom of cake.
- 3. Place cherry tomatoes, stem-ends down, in a ring around top of meat loaf "cake" to resemble cherries. Cut meat loaf into wedges; serve immediately.