Recipe by Hey Jude
Delicious bread that is wonderful with tea, or coffee! This bread needs to 'ripen' for 12 hours in your fridge and that is not included in the prep time.
Top Review by Roosie
This is a wonderful dense fruitcake-like bread chock full of fruit and nuts. It produced a beautiful (made me wish I had a digital camera to share it with 'Zaar) and flavorful loaf. I had it for breakfast with a cup of coffee this morning and it was great. We added a splash of cognac to the water the apricots were soaking in. Very nice loaf, I don't think I would change a thing! By the way, I reviewed this for the Chef Of The Day Game (and I'm glad I did!) but I've added a ton of your recipes to my cookbook and will make them soon!
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350°; grease a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Cut the apricots into small pieces and places in a bowl; add the boiling water and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, sugar and oil; beat until blended.
- Gradually add the apricot mixture, beating constantly.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth; stir in the nuts, then scrape the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then loosen with spatulas and transfer to a rack; cool then wrap in foil and store in the fridge for at least 12 hours before serving.