Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious bread that is wonderful with tea, or coffee! This bread needs to 'ripen' for 12 hours in your fridge and that is not included in the prep time.
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350°; grease a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Cut the apricots into small pieces and places in a bowl; add the boiling water and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, sugar and oil; beat until blended.
- Gradually add the apricot mixture, beating constantly.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth; stir in the nuts, then scrape the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then loosen with spatulas and transfer to a rack; cool then wrap in foil and store in the fridge for at least 12 hours before serving.
This is a wonderful dense fruitcake-like bread chock full of fruit and nuts. It produced a beautiful (made me wish I had a digital camera to share it with 'Zaar) and flavorful loaf. I had it for breakfast with a cup of coffee this morning and it was great. We added a splash of cognac to the water the apricots were soaking in. Very nice loaf, I don't think I would change a thing! By the way, I reviewed this for the Chef Of The Day Game (and I'm glad I did!) but I've added a ton of your recipes to my cookbook and will make them soon!