Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is great for breakfast with whipped honey butter on top.
- 1 (16 ounce) can apricot halves
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Drain apricots and reserve liquid.
- Place apricots in a food processor and puree.
- Add enough of the reserved liquid to the puree of apricots to make one cup. Set this mixture aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
- In a seperate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold in dry ingredients and apricots to eggs sugar mixture alternating. (dry, apricots, dry, apricots, etc.).
- Stir just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in walnut pieces.
- Spoon batter in a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife stuck into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Yummy apricot bread. I have an apricot tree and was looking for a recipe to use fresh apricots. I added 1/4 cup more sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. The bread had a great texture. Next time, I would add some chopped dried apricots as well to give it a stronger apricot flavor. Thanks, Lacy for the great recipe.