Recipe by Manami
This trifle is delicious! Aside from that it looks as lovely as a picture which I don't have. However, I have what it started out to look like.....and of course it has Amaretto. Once again, I used an industrial size cake mix so my times and servings are just an estimate.
- 6 dried apricot halves, halved
- 1 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups apricot jam or 1 1⁄3 cups apricot preserves
- 3 3⁄4 cups instant prepared custard
- toasted slivered almonds, lightly chopped, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a small bowl, soak the apricots in 3 tablespoons of Amaretto and set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, 2 tablespoons of the Amaretto and the amount of water called for on pkg directions less 2 tablespoons of liquid.(Due to the Amaretto that you added).
- Beat until well combined.
- Evenly spread the batter into the pan.
- Place in oven and bake until toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Unmold the cake.
- Using a 3" round cookie cutter, cut 12 rounds from it.
- Use a serrated knife to split each round in half horizontally.
- With a pastry brush or a basting brush, brush each of the 24 rounds with some of the remaining Amaretto.
- To assemble a single serving of trifle ~ place one round into an individual serving dish(like the little glass custard cups).
- Top with a spoonful of the jam or preserves, then 2 tablespoons of the custard, and a sprinkling of toasted almonds.
- Top with another layer of cake, jam and custard.
- Sprinkle with some of the Amaretto soaked apricots and top with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.
- NOTE: This can be made with a store bought yellow cake, store bought custard and the rest of items and can be literally put together in no time. This too, would look pretty in a parfait glass and just cut the round into little cubes.