2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I came across this recipe while looking for apricot recipes. Although I haven't made it I am hoping to make it before the too-short apricot season ends. Chillng dough time (1 hour) is included in prep time. Recipe source: local newspaper
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted,blanched and finely ground
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream, plus
- 2 -3 tablespoons whipping cream, divided
- 7 -8 apricots, cut in half and pitted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- 2Combine flour, ground almonds, 3 tablespoons sugar and the salt in a bowl.
- 3Cut 1/2 cup of the butter in small pieces and work it into the dough with two knives or a pastry cutter until dough is crumbly.
- 4Combine egg yolk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2-3 tablespoons whipping cream.
- 5Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the egg yolk/whipping cream mixture in, stirring with a fork to blend until dough can be formed into a ball.
- 6Gather up the ball of dough, on a floured board knead it several times and then wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 7Roll chilled dough out on a floured board to 3/8-inch thickness and press into a 9-inch tart pan, pressing it into the bottom and sides of pan and discard excess dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 8Line chilled pan with foil, then fill with pie weights (or crumbled up foil balls).
- 9Bake shell for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and remove foil and weights.
- 10Prick bottom of shell with a fork and return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until shell is light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 11Reduce oven temperature to 350-degrees F.
- 12Arrange apricots halves, pitted side up in the tart shell.
- 13Combine remaining whipping cream, vanilla, eggs and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl and then pour custard over apricots.
- 14Dot with remaining butter (2 tablespoons) and sprinkle with remaining sugar (2 tablespoons).
- 15Bake for 35-40 minutes or when custard tests done (by inserting knife in center- when knife is clean custard is done).
- 16Place tart under broiler for 30 seconds or when top is brown.
- 17Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot Tart
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.6
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 214.0 mg
- Sodium 217.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 9.4 g