Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from a neighbor when I requested recipies for a cookbook our local history group was getting together. It has been a favorite of my family and many others that read it in our self published cookbook " The Main Menu of Memories". If you use fresh potatoes, they should be cooked first to al dente stage.
- 1 (18 ounce) can sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can apricot nectar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 12 apricots, quartered (may be fresh, dried or canned)
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves (or big pieces)
- Grease a 1 to 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in single layer.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon in a 1 quart saucepan.
- Stir in apricot nectar and 1/3 cup water.
- Cook and stir on high heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add margarine and apricots.
- Pour evenly over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- The casserole will be hot and bubbly.
I made this for Christmas last year and it was so delicious that I making again today for Thanksgiving.
This recipe is delicious! Very similar to one I make using peaches instead of apricots.
This was a very nice sweet potato casserole great for holiday season! The apricot sauce was devine! Next time though I will use a little less brown sugar as was a little too sweet and I used more dried apricots and heaps of chopped pecans. Thanks for a nice dish!