Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a magazine (I can’t remember which one) many years ago. It’s evolved a little over the years, but the basics are the same and the flavors are wonderful. I serve it with rice pilaf and a green salad.
- 6 pork rib chops, 1 inch thick
- 1 (17 ounce) can apricot halves
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- Cut pocket in each chop (or have it done by the butcher), cutting from fat side almost to bone edge. Season cavity with a little salt and pepper.
- Drain apricots, reserving 1/2 cup syrup.
- Place 2 apricot halves in pocket of each chop. Secure opening with toothpicks which have been soaked in water.
- Refrigerate chops until ready to cook.
- Chop remaining apricots; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute onions in oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add reserved chopped apricots, apricot syrup, ketchup, dry mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Grill chops over medium coals 35 minutes, turning once.
- Brush sauce over chops while they are grilling.
- Serve remaining sauce with meal.