Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from the Diabetes Australia The Diabetes Cookbook and is in response to a request for diabetic recipes with nuts. Times are estimated.
- 825 g apricots (slices canned in natural juice, drained)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup sultana (120 grams)
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts (35 grams, roasted and finely chopped)
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celcius (180 degree for fan-forced).
- Grease oven tray.
- Combine apricots, sugar, cinnamon, sultanas and nuts in medium bowl.
- Stack pastry sheets, brushing each lightly with milk as you layer them.
- Spread apricot mix over pastry, leaving a 5cm space at edge of both short sides and 2cm at edge of one long side.
- Fold short sides over; starting from filled long side edge, roll strudel to enclose filling.
- Place seam side down on prepared tray.
- Bush strudel with remaining milk.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Dust strudel with icing sugar before serving, warm or cold, with icecream if desired.
Really enjoyed the combo of hazelnuts, apricots & sultanas in this pastry ~ GREAT, GREAT TASTE! I did, however, omit the powdered sugar on top, but that's just my personal preference showing! Will definitely make this one again ~ Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar cooking tag]