Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use different colors of preserves and jelly for these fanciful pastries. They're good for dessert, an afternoon coffee break, or even breakfast.
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) packagefrozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves or 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pistachios or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- Place one portion of pastry on top of other portion. Roll on a lightly floured surface into a 17 1/2 x 15 1/2 inch rectangle. Cut pastry into 20 (3 1/2 inch) squares, using a sharp knife (or pizza cutter). Leave remaining strip of pastry uncut.
- Cut each strip of pastry diagonally from the corners to the center, leaving center of pastry uncut.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon preserves onto center of each square. Fold every other point of cut corners to the center to make a pinwheel. Press down firmly to seal seam of points.
- Cut 20 (3/4 inch) rounds from remaining strip of uncut pastry. Combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water. Brush 1 side of small pastry round with egg yolk mixture. Place pastry round in center of each pinwheel, brushed side down, pressing gently to seal. Brush entire pinwheel with additional egg yolk mixture. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Chill 10 minutes. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons water, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over warm pastries. Sprinkle with pistachios or pecans. Serve warm or cold.