Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup raw honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup unrefined oil or 1⁄2 cup cold pressed oil
- 1⁄2 cup raw honey
- Mix first three ingredients in sauce pan.
- Bring to boil and then simmer uncovered on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Mix rest of ingredients and press half of mix into bottom of 8 x 8 pan.
- Spread Aprocot mix on top and sprinkle the rest of the oat mix on top.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees until lightly browned.
- Cool and cut into 16 squares.
I love that these were not only easy to make, but involved no refined sugar at all. They smell delicious out of the oven, but I had to refrigerate them for a few days as the occasion I had made them for was delayed. I tried to get them out of the refrigerator early, to give them a chance to go to room temperature. My husband tried one small bite and refused to eat any more, insisting it was bitter. My 3 year old refused to try it. My husband eats a great deal of refined food, so this may account for his reaction. I enjoyed them, but could understand where he got the bitter idea from. Everyone else enjoyed them and out of the 4 adults and one child that ate them all but one were gone. That one that was left, I let sit out (covered) overnight to see if it affected the taste. It was much better, smooth and delicious. Next time I make these, I'll not refrigerate, or remove them from the refrigerator the night before. I followed the recipe exactly, using raw honey. I plan on making variations, including using applesauce instead of oil or peaches and pecans instead of apricots and walnuts. This a great recipe, thanks a lot!