Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Light and delicious, perfect for a Bridal or Baby shower. This recipe was created by Alma Lauer.
- 1 (1 -2 cup) cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot jam
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Spread in ungreased 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Spread jam over cooled crust.
- Beat egg whites and almond extract until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Spread over jam.
- Sprinkle with almonds (if desired).
- Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until egg whites are set and slightly golden.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into 2 inch squares.
These are so good Kibbie, thank you so much for sharing. We loved this delicious little gem. A beautiful looking square, nice crisp cookie/shortbread crust, yummy semi tart apricot jam and the topping, oh baby...tastes like meriange & marshmallows combined. Very easy to make and it didn't take long. I used margarine, it worked great. I found it very easy to prepare. I will definitely make this again and again. The only change I did was to omit the nuts because my dh is allergic, so I topped with coconut. A new family favourite.
These tasted very good --nice and light. I did have problems with the dough, very sticky and hard to spread. And it was hard to spread the jam without pulling up the crust. I did not use butter, but butter-flavor Crisco stick, so this could be the problem. But again, they were very tasty -- I made them yesterday for a cookie tray for my boss' 40th b-day -- and I would make them again using butter this time. I would also try a different flavor jam over half so you have a variety.