Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
from today's NY times, this is a minimalist recipe that will blow you away with it's taste and ease of prep.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, more for greasing pan
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 lb dried apricot
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan (not necessary with nonstick pan).
- Combine butter, 1 cup flour and the granulated sugar in a food processor. Pulse until ingredients are pebbly and crumbly; mixture will be quite dry. Press into pan, and bake for 15 minutes or until shell is evenly cooked.
- If fruit is very dry, stew it in water to cover in a small saucepan until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain very well, then chop. Combine in a bowl with eggs, brown sugar, remaining flour and salt.
- Remove pan from oven, and pour fruit batter over crust. Bake until lightly browned and firm on edges but still a little soft in middle, about 30 minutes.
- Cool, then cut into squares and serve. Store, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
Mixed reviews from our family and friends. The topping was very good. Not too sweet, but sweet enough, and the apricots gave it a nice texture. The crust was a little bland, and I agree with the other reviewer that it was too thick. The whole thing was very easy to mix in the foodprocessor-- didn't even have to wash it out in the middle (just rinse the blade part). I would be interested in ideas to jazz up the crust a bit.
The topping was delicious as was the crust although I thought the crust was a little too thick for an 8 inch pan. The next time I make it I'm either going to halve the crust recipe or use a 9 x 13 pan and make more of the topping. I made everything, crust and then topping in the food processor.
YUM,YUM, DH said, Damn these are delicious. These are very easy to make, made just like the recipe stated. The food processor worked great, also for chopping the apricots and mixing the eggs, brown sugar, flour & salt together with the apricots. The baking time was just right. Chia, thanks for another yummy recipe.