Recipe by JPsBarbie
Originally this cake had a layer of gooey apricots between the cake and crumbs but I wasn't paying attention one day and added them to the cake. My daughter decided she liked better with the apricots in the batter. I am partial to the gooey layer. Either way is good with some whipped cream or ice cream. It is also good made with blueberies, peaches, or a combo of fresh fruits in place of the apricots.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh apricots (chopped in medium sized pieces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter to make crumbs. Set 3/4 cup of crumb mixture aside for topping.
- Add milk, baking powder, vanilla, and EGG YOLKS to mixing bowl. Mix well. Beat EGG WHITES till soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- If adding apricots to batter do so now.
- Pour batter into lighty sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Evenly sprinkle with apricots (if you didn't add them to the batter). Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.