Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is originally from McCall's magazine, over 20 years ago. The apricot filling is lovely, & worth the effort.
- 78.07 ml soft butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 236.59 ml flour
- 177.44 ml dried apricot
- 4.92 ml lemon zest, grated
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 78.07 ml chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shortbread: In medium bowl, with mixer, beat butter& sugar till light& fluffy.
- Add in flour.
- Pat mixture into an 8 by 8" pan.
- Bake 12 minutes or till light golden in color.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Filling: Place apricots in a small saucepan& add just enough water to cover.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Watch carefully & add a bit more water if needed.
- Drain apricots, reserving 3 T liquid.
- Chop apricots finely.
- Combine in saucepan with reserved liquid, lemon peel, sugar,& cornstarch.
- Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring.
- Let filling cool 10 minutes& spread over shortbread crust.
- Spread with nuts, if desired.
- Bake 20 minuts.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
Lovely cookies that are like little tastes of apricot heaven! A new favorite--thanks Judy!!
My DH loves apricot anything so these were made for him and he said "terrific". I must be honest and say I didn't measure the apricots, I just dumped the last of a bag. not sure how much there was. I had to add more than 3 tablespoons of the liquid and another teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken it up. I also added 1 tablespoon of Cointreau after removing from the heat. As you can see they turned out very good. Thanks for the great apricot recipe Judy.