Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice side dish that goes great with grilled chicken (for example) or lamb (or beef, or anything I guess). Try it one day when you're tired of white rice!
- 1 cup bulgur (dry)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 3 ounces sliced almonds (I use half of a 6 oz package, that's why it is not measured in "cups")
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 g saffron (usually 1 small package is this size)
- Prepare bulgur according to directions on package (usually boil 2x as much water as you will make bulgur, take off heat, add bulgur, stir, let sit 5 mins).
- Stir saffron into bulgur (you can do this at any time, you can add saffron into the water as it boils -- I usually do -- or you can add it after the bulgur is made -- which I did when I forgot it!).
- While bulgur is cooking, sauté onions in butter over med-high heat, as soon as onions begin to get soft (2 mins) add apricots. Lower heat to med-low and sauté for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add sliced almonds to the apricot/onion mix.
- When bulgur is ready, add apricot/onion/almond mix; fluff and serve!