1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From the Italian Inn Cookbook. You can make this rum cake several days ahead. It's flavor improves with standing. Let warm to room temperature and flame at serving time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried apricot halves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup golden rum
- 1 (16 ounce) can apricot halves, drained
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 1In a small bowl, combine chopped dried apricots and 1/4 c run. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 2Heat oven to 325º. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Turk's turban mold or tube pan.
- 3In a food processor or blender process apricot halves until pureed. Stir in dried apricots with rum.
- 4In a large bowl, with electric mixer beat butter, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and sugar until well blended.
- 5Add flour, salt, baking soda, and apricot puree mixture. Beat at low speed just until combined, scraping side of bowl frequently.
- 6Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen edges, invert and unmold cake onto flameproof plate with rim.
- 7In small saucepan, heat apricot preserves. Strain and stir in 1/4 cup rum. Brush apricot glaze over cake every few minutes while it's cooling until all glaze is used.
- 8If desired, garnish cake plate with clusters of seedless green grapes and fresh leaves. Bring cake to serving cart or side table. In a long handled ladle, gently warm remaining rum until vapors rise. Ignite and pour over cake. When flames subside, slice cake and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.6
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 107.6 mg
- Sodium 334.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 59.6 g
- Protein 6.3 g