Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adapted this recipe from a TV food show "Cooking Live". The original calls for a whole duck and szechuan peppercorns. If you want to use a whole duck, increase the cooking time by 15 minutes for the simmering and 15 minutes for the roasting.
- 4 duck legs, excess skin removed
- 2 cups duck stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water, more if needed to cover duck
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 birds eye chile
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, mix (red, black, white)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn, rinsed
- Place the extra fat in a stockpot with duck stock and water and bring to a boil.
- Prick the duck legs all over and add to the pot.
- Add extra water to cover, if needed.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and let legs sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to dry skin.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 450.
- In a saucepan heat the vinegar, preserves, soy sauce, chile, ground pepper, and peppercorns.
- Divide sauce in half.
- Place duck legs on a roasting pan, brush with sauce.
- Roast for 30 minutes occasionally basting with sauce.
- Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.