Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came across this recipe recently while looking for apricot recipes. Although I haven't made it yet it sounds delicious combining two of my favorite things (apricots and pistachios). Processing time is included with cooking time, but cooling time and freezing time is not included (allow overnight freezing and an additional 2-4 hours cooling/refrigeration time). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (July 1982)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup whipped cream (1/2 cup unwhipped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups apricot puree (about 1 pound pitted, peeled apricots)
- 2⁄3 cup blanched pistachios, husked and chopped
- Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Beat yolks in a large bowl until thick and forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted.
- Whisk in sugar/water mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan over low heat, whisking constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon. DO NOT BOIL.
- Transfer mixture to bowl which is set over ice water. Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Fold whipped cream into cooled egg mixture using a rubber spatula. Fold in apricot puree and pistachios.
- Refrigerate until chilled (at least 1 hour or per manufacturer's directions).
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and process per manufacturer's directions.
- Turn into plastic container and freeze.
Couldn't wait any longer to make this recipe so borrowed a friend's ice cream maker, then, of course, shared the results! Next time I'll make it JUST FOR ME! I liked everything about this ice cream, not the least being two of my favorite foods, apricots & pistachios! Will be making this one again & again!