Recipe by Sass Smith
This is a wonderful, summery, intensely flavored fruit ice cream, perfect for serving after a Mediterranean meal. Prep time includes steeping and chilling time. From 'The Perfect Scoop' by David Lebovitz.
- 5 ounces dried apricots
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup pistachio nut, shelled
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter the apricots, then warm them with the wine in a small saucepan.
- Simmer five minutes, then cover, remove from the heat and let stand for one hour.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios.
- Puree the apricots, wine, sugar, half and half, and lemon juice in a blender.
- Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator -- this will take at least 3 hours -- then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add the psitachio nuts in the last five minutes of churning.