Prep 55 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006-Canada. From the "Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't had the opportunity to try this pie yet. Note: If fresh or frozen apricots are not available, one (29 oz.) can apricot halves in heavy syrup, drained, can be used. If using canned apricots, omit granulated sugar.
- 1 (10 inch) unbaked double pie crusts
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 lb fresh apricots or 1 lb frozen apricots
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a small bowl, combine almonds, breadcrumbs and walnuts; sprinkle over bottom pie crust.
- Peel and halve fresh apricots. Spread apricot halves over nut mixture. Sprinkle sugar over apricots. Cut top crust into strips; arrange in a lattice pattern over filling. Brush top pastry with egg yolk. Bake 30 minutes.
Wouldn't have attempted this recipe if I hadn't received a bag of home-grown apricots from friends of mine! Ended up making 2 pies, one for them & one for myself! Not sure where the 55 minute prep time comes in, 'cause this went together in no time at all! VERY, VERY NICE TASTING PIE! [Made & reviewed while touring Canada on Zaar's World Tour 4]