Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from TOH's field editor, Nancy Foust. They can be used for casual or formal get togethers. They look absolutely yummy!!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 (12 ounce) cans apricot filling
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, 2 egg whites, milk and vanilla; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one portion slightly larger.
- Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17inchx12inch rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15inchx10inchx1inch baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom of and up the sides of the pan; trim the pastry even with the top edges. Spread apricot filling over dough, sprinkle with walnuts.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan;place over filling. Trim, seal and flutes edges. Cut slits in top. Whisk remaining egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars before serving.