Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice cooky like base covered with cooked apricot puree and finished with a lattice covering and sprinkled with powdered sugar at serving time. This was another of my mother's favorites...and mine, too. Pretty looking and good.
For the dough
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 -4 tablespoons sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb sweet butter
- 4 egg yolks
For the filling
- 1 lb dried apricot
- granulated sugar
- For the dough:.
- Sift flour, baking powder and sugar into bowl.
- Add lemon rind and butter.
- Work butter into flour mixture as for pie crust.
- Add egg yolks and enough sour cream so that when it's mixed it resembles soft pie dough.
- Gather into ball and divide into 4 parts.
- Put one part to the side.
- Pat remaining dough into an ungreased 11 x 17 x 1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 12 minutes to set the dough.
- Remove from oven and spread with Apricot Filling.
- For the filling:.
- Place apricots in saucepan and pour enough water to cover apricots by an inch.
- Cook over medium heat until apricots are soft and liquid has been reduced, stirring occasionally so they don't stick to pan.
- Mash apricots with a fork or an immersion blender to a somewhat smooth puree.
- Add sugar to desired sweetness.
- Filling must be thick and not runny.
- Finish assembling:.
- Roll remainder of dough to 1/8" thickness and cut into 1/2" strips with pie jagger or knife.
- Arrange diagonally in lattice fashion over apricots, or you can roll pieces of dough into 1/4" diameter and arrange as above.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- Before serving sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar and cut into small squares or diamond shaped pieces.
- NOTE: I like to trim the edges of the pastry before cutting into serving pieces. It looks better, and the trimmings are delicious with coffee as the baker's reward for the work!
Yummy! Just like mom used to make!