Recipe by superbuna
A nice cooky like base covered with cooked apricot puree and finished with a lattice covering and sprinkled with powdered sugar at serving time. This was another of my mother's favorites...and mine, too. Pretty looking and good.
For the dough
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 -4 tablespoons sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb sweet butter
- 4 egg yolks
For the filling
- 1 lb dried apricot
- granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough:.
- Sift flour, baking powder and sugar into bowl.
- Add lemon rind and butter.
- Work butter into flour mixture as for pie crust.
- Add egg yolks and enough sour cream so that when it's mixed it resembles soft pie dough.
- Gather into ball and divide into 4 parts.
- Put one part to the side.
- Pat remaining dough into an ungreased 11 x 17 x 1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 12 minutes to set the dough.
- Remove from oven and spread with Apricot Filling.
- For the filling:.
- Place apricots in saucepan and pour enough water to cover apricots by an inch.
- Cook over medium heat until apricots are soft and liquid has been reduced, stirring occasionally so they don't stick to pan.
- Mash apricots with a fork or an immersion blender to a somewhat smooth puree.
- Add sugar to desired sweetness.
- Filling must be thick and not runny.
- Finish assembling:.
- Roll remainder of dough to 1/8" thickness and cut into 1/2" strips with pie jagger or knife.
- Arrange diagonally in lattice fashion over apricots, or you can roll pieces of dough into 1/4" diameter and arrange as above.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- Before serving sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar and cut into small squares or diamond shaped pieces.
- NOTE: I like to trim the edges of the pastry before cutting into serving pieces. It looks better, and the trimmings are delicious with coffee as the baker's reward for the work!