Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This yummy salad has fruit and vegetables both in it and is topped with a delicious sour cream/cream cheese mixture with cinnamon in it. Make ahead so it can set and pull it out at meal time.
- 1 (6 ounce) box orange gelatin (I prefer Jello)
- 1 7⁄8 cups water
- 1⁄8 cup Grand Marnier
- 8 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 1 (16 ounce) can mandarin oranges, with juice
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, curls
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dry coconut powder
- Bring the water and grand marnier to a boil and pour over the gelatin in a large bowl. Stir till gelatin dissolves.
- Add the dried apricots and cranberries and let sit and cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Using a potato peeler, make thin strips using one or two carrots so that you have 1/2 cup of carrot curls.
- Add the can of mandarin oranges with juice, the carrot strips, juice of two oranges and 1/2 C cold water.
- Stir, let set in a bowl or mold of choice in the refrigerator.
- Blend the topping ingredients well.
- After jello has set, spread on top. Serve and enjoy!
I liked this a lot. My kids did not. I think it would be better if the carrots were shredded. It was very sweet but the topping helped cut through that. Good luck in the contest!
I found this to be a very refreshing & enjoyable [almost a dessert] salad! Although I almost cut out the Grand Marnier in the beginning, I decided to leave it in, though I boiled it a little longer with the water before using it. All the flavors of the fruits & the carrots combined very nicely with that of the topping! In an evening's time, 5 of us made short work of this salad/dessert!