Prep 4 mins
Cook 26 mins
Delicious chicken variation, not too fancy. I made this for my elderly mother-in-law from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook of 2006, and it cries out to be featured in my First Day of Spring celebration.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (6-8 ounces each)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Adjust an oven rack to the upper position and heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat 9 by 13-inch baking dish lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the chicken in prepared 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk the apricot preserves, dried apricot pieces, and orange juce into the saucepan with the honey, vinegar, soy sauce, curry powder, and Tabasco sauce, over medium-high heat.
- Simmer, whisking often, until the mixture has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Quickly dissolve the cornstarch in the water, then whisk into the honey mixture.
- Pour the apricot-orange sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake until the chicken registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 15-18 minutes.
This was delicious! We used a sugar-free honey substitute, and it worked out great. Very easy yet flavorful dish. And that was even fogetting the almonds! Thanks for the recipe! ~Sue
This was a great dinner for us. The sauce would've been enough for 1 more serving, and it was so good I couldn't bear to throw it away. So I saved it in the fridge - in the next day or so I'll heat it up on top of some rice as part of a leftover lunch. :) I only used 3 T honey, and my apricot jam was also short by about 1 T, but otherwise I made exactly as directed. The hot sauce added just the right amount of spice to contrast with the sweetness.
Made this recipe pretty much as directed ~ Used a mild honey & slivered almonds along with everything else & the results were ABSOLUTELY GREAT! Served this with a simple mix of peas & brown rice! Another time I'll slice the chicken into strips or bite-size pieces so that each person can take as much or as little as they like! A definite keeper! Thanks for posting! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders cooking game]