Recipe by moonpoodle
I was looking for some relatively healthy baking recipes, and someone pointed me in the direction of this one. It is low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
Top Review by Alpa.71
Thanks so much for sharing! It was so delicious!! I added a little more apricot than called for as well as dried cherries and a tspn of vanilla extract. It took about 20 min to put together and 45 min to bake. Amazing flavors and lots of potential for tinkering around!
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange peel
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Cook apricots in water in a covered medium-size saucepan for 10-15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain; reserve 3/4 cup liquid. Set apricots aside to cool.
- Cream together margarine and sugar. By hand, beat in egg and orange peel.
- Sift together flour, dry milk, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved apricot liquid and orange juice.
- Stir apricot pieces and pecans into batter.
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bread springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and completely cool on wire rack before slicing.