Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was looking for some relatively healthy baking recipes, and someone pointed me in the direction of this one. It is low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange peel
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Cook apricots in water in a covered medium-size saucepan for 10-15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain; reserve 3/4 cup liquid. Set apricots aside to cool.
- Cream together margarine and sugar. By hand, beat in egg and orange peel.
- Sift together flour, dry milk, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved apricot liquid and orange juice.
- Stir apricot pieces and pecans into batter.
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bread springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and completely cool on wire rack before slicing.
Thanks so much for sharing! It was so delicious!! I added a little more apricot than called for as well as dried cherries and a tspn of vanilla extract. It took about 20 min to put together and 45 min to bake. Amazing flavors and lots of potential for tinkering around!