Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This id a recipe from 'Jewish Cooking in America with Joan Nathan. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons cake crumbs (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, broken up
- 1 cup shaved bittersweet chocolate (about 8 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas4.
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, salt and lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl, add the flour and using an electric mixer, combine all ingredients until a very smooth and soft dough has formed.
- Alternatively use a food processor to do this and pulse until you have a soft dough.
- Chill the dough for at leats 60 minutes in the fridge.
- Mix the ingredients for either of the two fillings, or half the ingredients and make both.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and divide into four portions.
- Shape into four balls and roll the balls out into circles of approx 1/8 inch thickness.
- Divide the filling between the circles and spread it out.
- Cut into pizza-wedge shapes that are approximately one inch wide at the outside.
- Carefully roll them up, starting from the wide side (outside ofthe circle)towards the centre.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
- Instead of the round shapes, you can roll out your dough into four 1/4 inch thick rectangles, spread with filling, roll jelly-roll style, from the wide end, so you get a long roll, rather than a thick one, and cut it into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place them flat on a cookie sheet, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake as above.