This id a recipe from 'Jewish Cooking in America with Joan Nathan. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons cake crumbs (optional)
- 3/4 cup walnuts, broken up
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas4.
- 2Combine the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, salt and lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl, add the flour and using an electric mixer, combine all ingredients until a very smooth and soft dough has formed.
- 3Alternatively use a food processor to do this and pulse until you have a soft dough.
- 4Chill the dough for at leats 60 minutes in the fridge.
- 5Mix the ingredients for either of the two fillings, or half the ingredients and make both.
- 6Remove the dough from the fridge and divide into four portions.
- 7Shape into four balls and roll the balls out into circles of approx 1/8 inch thickness.
- 8Divide the filling between the circles and spread it out.
- 9Cut into pizza-wedge shapes that are approximately one inch wide at the outside.
- 10Carefully roll them up, starting from the wide side (outside ofthe circle)towards the centre.
- 11Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- 12Bake on a greased cookie sheet for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
- 14Instead of the round shapes, you can roll out your dough into four 1/4 inch thick rectangles, spread with filling, roll jelly-roll style, from the wide end, so you get a long roll, rather than a thick one, and cut it into 1/2 inch slices.
- 15Place them flat on a cookie sheet, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake as above.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apricot- or Chocolate-Filled Rugelach
Serving Size: 1 (1327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.5
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 21.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: