Recipe by Southern Lady
Quick and Easy Preparation. Low or sugar free jelly or preserves works well, too. Adapted from a recipe I received over 25 years ago, where I cut out a lot of unnecessary cholesterol and it didn't affect the flavor in the least. You can use chicken pieces of your choice, just adjust your cooking time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt, lightly sprinkled
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam, heaping
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly salt each chicken piece and then add black pepper and garlic powder to suit your taste buds.
- Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Brown seasoned side of chicken first and turn to brown the other side (about 3-4 mins each side). Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl add onion soup mix and with fingers sprinkle over chicken pieces. This method spreads more evenly than sprinkling direct from packet. (I use any leftover mix to season a vegetable).
- Using a spoon, drop in small dallops about 1 heaping Tablespoon of jam/jelly/preserves per chicken breast.
- Return skillet to a Low heat, cover with lid and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until all juices run clear.
- Some of the glaze will run to bottom of skillet. I recommend adding 1 T of water, stir and drizzle the sauce on ea. plate and top with chicken, makes for a nice presentation.