Recipe by kiwidutch
I am not much for sweets, but when I do develop a sweet tooth, this is what I make. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: United States of America.
Top Review by UmmBinat
These were tasty but fell completely apart but that is probably due to my replacing the butter with canola oil to be dairy free. I also made them gluten free by using a lesser quantity of a gluten free flour mix (which did not include a gum because I forgot) and gluten free quick-cooking oats. I liked the flavour but dont think I will make these again because of the problem of them falling apart.
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried apricots, chopped (about 15 to 16 ounces)
- 4 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of a 9-by-13-inch rectangular pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the apricots in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- In work bowl of electric mixer, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add butter and beat on low speed until a crumbly mixture is formed, about 1 minute. Place half the mixture into the pan and press firmly into an even layer.
- Spread apricots evenly over surface, then sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top. The pan will be almost full.
- Bake in center of oven until light golden brown, about 50 minutes. Remove to a rack and cool completely (do not cut while warm or bars will be too crumbly). Gently cut into 24 pieces with a small, sharp knife.
- Store in airtight container or cookie tin between layers of parchment or waxed paper.