Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from an old recipe book, adapted for my needs and tastes. 195 calories per serving, 3 grams of fat and 2 mg of cholesterol.
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- Preheat ove to 400.
- Spray 6 large 3" muffin cups with no-stick spray.
- In large bowl, stir oat bran, brown sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Stir in buttermilk and molasses.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the oat-bran mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in apples and apricots.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- To make standar sized muffins spray 12 2 1/2" muffin cups with no-stick spray, spoon batter into cups. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
This is health food. This recipe would probably get more action if cross listed under gluten free. It took a while to find a gluten-free oat bran muffin. If molasass is too much... try honey. I added a little apple sauce to moisten and a little more oatbran for balance. I yeilded 1 dozen muffins. I cooked at 350, as I had something else in the oven at the same time. Hubby ate 3 before they had a chance to cool. I thought they were yummy but I understand Annette1's point and will definitely lower the molassas content and replace with honey next time.
These muffins were very dry and the flavor was overpowering with the molasses.Not a good taste