Recipe by ColoradoCookin'
Taken from an old recipe book, adapted for my needs and tastes. 195 calories per serving, 3 grams of fat and 2 mg of cholesterol.
Top Review by CJJohnson
This is health food. This recipe would probably get more action if cross listed under gluten free. It took a while to find a gluten-free oat bran muffin. If molasass is too much... try honey. I added a little apple sauce to moisten and a little more oatbran for balance. I yeilded 1 dozen muffins. I cooked at 350, as I had something else in the oven at the same time. Hubby ate 3 before they had a chance to cool. I thought they were yummy but I understand Annette1's point and will definitely lower the molassas content and replace with honey next time.
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped dried apricot
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat ove to 400.
- Spray 6 large 3" muffin cups with no-stick spray.
- In large bowl, stir oat bran, brown sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Stir in buttermilk and molasses.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the oat-bran mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in apples and apricots.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- To make standar sized muffins spray 12 2 1/2" muffin cups with no-stick spray, spoon batter into cups. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.