Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another favorite quick bread that my mom made when I was a child. I often make small tins of my apricot nut bread, pumpkin bread, and cranberry bread to give as teacher gifts, along with the recipe for each, during the holidays.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- orange rind, grated,to taste
- In a small saucepan, cook the apricots in water until soft; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease and lightly flour two 7x3x2-inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in butter, milk, orange juice, and egg; mix well.
- Fold in dried apricots, nuts, and orange peel.
- Spoon into prepared pans.
- Bake 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool completely.
Caryn, I made your bread as a contribution to my DH "Goody Day" at work. It was a sensation down to the last crumb. All I got back was a very clean pan. It's a keeper! Thanks!
nice and moist. I halved the recipe and used one egg. If I made it again, making two loaves, I would add two eggs instead of one. Also added some dried cranberries and probably more orange peel than called for since didn't really measure it. delicious!
I have tried several recipes and this is the best. I double the recipe and add about 1 teaspoon nutmeg to the flour, I use 3 eggs, and add some vanilla. Just make sure to wrap it up tight after its cooled so it stays moist... Time saving tip I will share is just to chop the apricots, place them in a glass measuring cup-add water, cover with Saran wrap, heat in microwave and then leave them covered until ready to use... Enjoy!! This recipe is a hit both at work and home!!