Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup fresh apricot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- granulated sugar
- Combine apricot pieces and lemon juice. Cream shortening and sugar, beat in egg and stir in apricots.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; add to first mixture alternately with milk.
- Add chopped nuts with last portion of flour.
- Fill greased muffin tins two thirds full.
- Sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Makes 12 muffins.
These were really good! I was surprised how moist they were. My family is very picky - they don't like apricots, nuts or chunks, so I pureed the cots and left out the nuts and the sugar on top. I froze them and took them to a family reunion so everyone could taste one - all were pleasantly surprised! Thanks a bunch for a nice change in a muffin.
Very delicious! Do not grease the sides of the muffin tin - just the bottoms. That way you can get lovely browned crusts. I think I'll cut down on the nutmeg next time or play around with another flavor...it's really strong!
I had two apricots that needed using up so this recipe was perfect! I made a loaf instead of muffins. The nutmeg went really well. Thanks!