Recipe by Jill from Pittsburgh
Sweet apricot filling and delicate meringue topping bars from Taste of Home
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup cold butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (12 ounce) cans apricot filling
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla; mix well.
- Press into a greased 15 in x 10 in x 1 in baking pan.
- Bate at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread apricot filling over crust.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread over apricot layer.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
- Refrigerate leftovers.