Prep 6 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a lovely layered salad (or dessert) to serve with a heavier type of meal or on a hot summer day! The recipe comes from "The Romney Family Table" by Anne Romney who recommends serving it with a curried chicken salad. Recipe halves nicely.
- 1 (46 ounce) can apricot nectar
- 4 (4 1/2 ounce) packages apricot gelatin
- 1 (16 ounce) can apricot halves, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- Pour 2 cups of the apricot nectar into a saucepan reserving the rest. Add all the jello to the 2 cups nectar and stir well. Heat the saucepan to boiling, stirring constantly, until all the jello is dissolved.
- Pour reserved nectar into a large bowl and add the contents of the saucepan. Stir well to blend. Line a large jello mold with the apricot halves, rounded side down. Pour 2 cups of the jello-nectar mixture over the apricot and refrigerate until firm but still a little sticky, about 1 hour. In a bowl, combine the sour cream with 2 more cups of the jello-nectar mixture and beat until fluffy. Pour on top of the first layer already in mold and let chill 2 hours. Pour remaining jello-nectar mixture over the sour cream layer and chill for several hours or overnight.
- To unmold, dip the mold into hot water for 20 second or so. Loosen around the edges with a knife. Turn out onto serving plate. You may decorate the mold by encircling with fresh fruit or more apricot halves.