Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This jam is made without pectin and the list of ingredients couldn't be simpler. You will need a very large pot to prepare this in, as the jam boils up double in size during the early stages of cooking.
- Sterilize your canning jars by boiling for 10 minutes in a hot water canner.
- You will need 5 pint jars or 10 half-pints.
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Once mixture reaches a rolling boil, continue to boil it for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking.
- Remove from heat and fill jars, leaving 1/4 head space.
- Wipe rims clean and put the 2-piece metal canning lids in place.
- Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
Made my 2nd batch - delicious! I watched the temp and brought it to 240 degrees. I also added 1/2 tablespoon of butter to keep it from foaming (great trick I learned from recipe 62194!). Turned out fantastic! Thanks for the great recipe!
I always prefer recipies without store bought pectin! This is a great one. Very easy. I, like others, did not boil it for 30 minutes....more like 15. I used the spoon test to check for readiness - dip a teaspoon in and if it jells as it is dripping off the spoon and cooling, then it is ready! This will go fast at my house!
If you dare to boil this for 30 minutes, you will end up with apricot cotlets (jellied candies). I'm SO bummed! I even watched the temp. to make sure I didn't burn it - never made it past 220 degrees. But I decided to follow the directions as I've never made jam without pectin before. Boiling it for 30 minutes was a big mistake.